The Smith Family BackStoppers Scholarship at UMSL
The Backstoppers was established by St. Louis area business and civic leaders and its mission is to provide the families of fallen police officers, firefighters, and paramedics/EMTs with the support they need to meet their financial obligations and continue to pursue their family’s dreams. One of the most important commitments The BackStoppers makes to survivor families is an assurance that their children will be able to afford whatever educational opportunities they have or that their parents had planned for them. Meeting these educational costs is often one of the major expenses for surviving families, and one of the most important. The Smith family established this scholarship to assist Backstoppers recipient families with educational expenses at UMSL.
- Candidates will be Missouri residents.
- Recipients will demonstrate high financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Incoming freshmen will be considered for this scholarship.
- Preference will be given in this order of consideration:
- Children/dependents/spouses of police, fire, or EMS personnel killed in the line of duty or individuals/dependents of those who have suffered a catastrophic injury;
- Grandchildren of police, fire,or EMS personnel killed in the line of duty or who suffered a catastrophic injury;
- Children of active/retired police, fire, or EMS personnel;
UMSL students registered in the Criminology and Criminal Justice Program;
- General UMSL students.
- Supplemental Questions
- 1. Are you the child, dependent, or spouse of police, fire, or EMS personnel killed in the line of duty?
- 4. Are you the grandchild of a police, fire, or EMS personnel member who was killed in the line of duty or who suffered a catastrophic injury?
- 3. Are you the dependent of a police, fire, or EMS personnel member who has suffered a catastrophic injury?
- 5. Are you the child of an active/retired police, fire, or EMS personnel member?
- 2. Are you a police, fire, or EMS personnel member who has suffered a catastrophic injury?
- 6. If you answered "Yes" to questions 1, 2, or 3, above, please complete the Application for the Public Service Survivor Grant Program from the Missouri Department of Higher Education. You can find the form on MDHE's website: http://dhe.mo.gov/ppc/grants/publicserviceofficer.php. Please complete parts one and two of the form, and upload it here. We will review your eligibility for the state program in addition to this scholarship and process your application accordingly.
- Show 1 more